APPLE CAKE SQAURES
A very tender sponge cake topped with juicy apples and cinnamon crumbs. Easy to prepare and good served as a cake or cut into squares. Serve warm or cold.
Ingredients: to make 12 squares
3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
½ cup margarine, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
1¼ cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
For crumb topping
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 175 Cº (350 Fº).
2. Beat margarine and sugar in an electric beater until light and fluffy.
3. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt over margarine and sugar mixture.
4. Add yogurt, eggs, and vanilla to margarine and sugar. Beat on low speed to blend ingredients then on medium for 1 minute.
5. Butter a 30 x 19 cm. oblong oven proof dish with 3 to 4 cm. high sides, sprinkle with flour. Spread cake batter in pan and level top. Arrange apple slices on top (do not leave any batter uncovered as it will rise above apples when baked). Prepare crumb topping and sprinkle on top.
6. Bake 30 minutes. Cool. Cut to squares or serve as one piece.
To prepare crumb topping:
Mix topping ingredients with the fingers to end up with crumbs the size of lentils.