Ingredients: 4 servings
1 chicken, about 1 kg., cut to
¼ teaspoon saffron
Threads or dash of saffron powder
2 tablespoons hot water
⅓ teaspoon turmeric
1½ tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1½ cups short grain rice (such as Egyptian rice)
¾ cup finely chopped onion
1 medium red bell pepper, cut to ½ cm. squares
1 medium green bell pepper, cut to ½ cm. squares
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¾ cup chicken stock
1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped (with juice)
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
½ teaspoon paprika
1 chili pepper, finely chopped, or dash to ¼ teaspoon cayenne
1 cup frozen peas, cooked in salted boiling water and drained
3 tablespoons chopped parsley or chopped coriander
1 teaspoon salt
For decoration (optional)
¼ cup pitted black or green olives
7 pickled pimentos (bought in cans from supermarkets)
1. If using saffron threads, place threads with hot water in a big bowl for few minutes. Add the turmeric, vinegar, and salt. Stir to mix.
2. Place the chicken in the bowl and marinate for 30 minutes or overnight.
3. Drain chicken pieces and fry in oil over medium heat till well colored and almost cooked.
To prepare rice:
1. Preheat oven to 175 Cº (350 Fº).
2. Wash rice in several changes of water. Drain and soak in clear water for 30 minutes. Drain again.
3. Fry the onion in the olive oil over medium to low heat for one minute, add the two peppers and fry till tender but not colored. Add garlic, rice, cinnamon and cumin, fry for few seconds. Add chicken stock, tomatoes with juice, oregano, paprika, and the chili pepper, season.
4. Bring the mixture to the boil and stir to mix all ingredients. Place the chicken pieces on top with any left marinade and cover pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let rest ten minutes. Remove chicken pieces and fluff rice and add peas and parsley or coriander.
Return rice and chicken pieces to the turned off oven to keep hot.
Mix the hot rice with the frozen peas and parsley or coriander and place on a plate surrounded by the chicken pieces and
garnished with the olives, coriander, and pimentos if being used.
Instead of canned tomatoes, use 750 g. fresh tomatoes with 2 teaspoon tomato paste: Peel tomatoes, chop, and add at step 6 before
adding the chicken stock and cook for 10 minutes on high heat.