A unique and delicious salad with bourghol (cracked wheat) and a variety of healthy ingredients.
Ingredients: 4 servings
1¾ cup thick grains bourghol
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2½ cups chicken stock
½ cup dark raisins
3 spring onions, white and green part finely sliced
½ cup peeled pumpkin seeds (or chopped walnuts or almonds)
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup lemon juice
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon crushed ginger
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Fry onion in vegetable oil over low heat till tender, raise heat, add chicken stock and bring to the boil.
2. Wash bourghol, squeeze dry and add to the boiling chicken stock, cover pan and cook mixture over low heat 20 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat, stir ingredients with a fork, cover again, and set aside till cooled.
4. Peel orange, separate into segments, and remove membrane.
To prepare sauce
1. Mix all ingredients.
(Recipe may be prepared to this step a day before serving, peel avocado just before mixing).
2. Mix salad ingredients with sauce and place on a serving plate over red lettuce leaves, if desired.
For a nice presentation, set aside some of the raisins, spring onion, and seeds to sprinkle on top of the salad before serving.
To reduce calories
Do not use avocado, and do not fry onion but cook with the chicken stock. Use one tablespoon of vegetable oil for the sauce or ⅓ cup of low calorie yogurt.