A delicious recipe from the Lebanese kitchen of fried cauliflower stewed with meat, coriander, garlic and lemon juice.
Ingredients: 6 servings
500 g beef or lamb, cut into bite size pieces
(200 g ground meat may be used)
1 kg cauliflower after cleaning, separated into flowerets
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
1 tablespoon flour
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped coriander
3 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ cup lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons chopped coriander leaves
1. Fry meat pieces in a medium size pot in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over high heat. Add flour and fry a little more. Add water to cover with salt and pepper and bring to a boil while stirring. Cover and cook till meat is tender.
2. Soak cauliflower in water with vinegar to remove any small insects if any. Drain.
3. Heat the one cup oil and fry cauliflower till golden, place on kitchen absorbent paper or strainers.
4. Add cauliflower to meat pot with enough beef stock or water to cover. Cook uncovered 5 minutes or till cauliflower is tender.
5. Fry coriander and garlic in the rest of the vegetable oil, add to the meat pot with the lemon juice and simmer 3 minutes.
6. Pour the stew in a deep serving platter, garnish as desired and serve hot with rice cooked with vermicelli.
To reduce calories: Do not fry cauliflower but bake in the oven or boil in salted water till
almost tender and drain. Add garlic and coriander to cauliflower and meat without frying.